MGHPGR: An Evolution in Pediatric OCD Research
Professorial Lecture: An Evolution in Pediatric OCD Research
Daniel Geller MBBS FRACP is the Founder and Director of Research at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) Pediatric Psychiatry Obsessive-Compulsive and Tic Disorder (OCD/Tic) Clinical and Research Program. His research career has been devoted to the study of pediatric OCD and related disorders, their phenotypes, clinical correlates, familial patterns of inheritance, and treatment.
This lecture will summarize the major research findings of the candidate from his career development award and subsequent NIMH funded studies including a family genetic study of pediatric OCD, DCS augmentation of CBT in Youth with OCD and fear extinction learning profiles in CBT responders and non-responders.
This program is intended for: Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Fellows, Residents, Interns and Nurses
At the end of this presentation participants will be able to:
- Describe the prevalence and clinical correlates of OCD in Youth
- View results from a family genetic study of OCD that examines comorbidity, familial risk and neuropsychological endophenotypes
- List the non-genetic risk factors for pediatric onset of OCD
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of McLean Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital. McLean Hospital is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
McLean Hospital designates this Enduring activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 Nursing Contact Hours
Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 13, sections 13, 14, 14A, 15 and 15D and Chapter 112, sections 74 through 81C authorize the Board of Registration in Nursing to regulate nursing practice and education.
This program meets the requirements of the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (244 CMR 5.00) for 1.00 contact hours of nursing continuing education credit. Advance practice nurses, please note: Educational activities which meet the requirements of the ACCME (such as this activity) count towards 50% of the nursing requirement for ANCC accreditation.
- 1.00 Participation
This course allows other providers to claim a Participation Certificate upon successful completion of this course.
Participation Certificates will specify the title, location, type of activity, date of activity, and number of AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ associated with the activity. Providers should check with their regulatory agencies to determine ways in which AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ may or may not fulfill continuing education requirements. Providers should also consider saving copies of brochures, agenda, and other supporting documents.
- 1.00 Psychologists CE Credit
The Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Psychiatry is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Psychiatry maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
This offering meets the criteria for 1.00 Continuing Education (CE) credits per presentation for psychologists.
Dr. Geller has the following financial relationships:
- Consulting: Arlington Youth Counseling Center
- Site Investigator: The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development subcontract with Duke Clinical Research Center Pediatric Trials Network. The National Institute of Mental Health
- Site Investigator: Biohaven Pharmaceuticals, Boehringer Ingelheim, Eli Lilly and Co., Forest Pharmaceuticals, GlaxoSmithKline, Neurocrine Biosciences, Nuvelution Pharma, , Pfizer, Solvay, Syneos Health, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Biohaven
- Principal Investigator: Peace of Mind Foundation, the OCD Foundation and the Tourette Association of America